Monday, December 3, 2012

A Spy In The Class Room

If you're going to text in class
do it the right way!

               Today I decided that it was time to actually do some detective work and figure out just how distracting technology can be! So during my art history lecture I took a seat in the very back of the room and watched my fellow students (while taking notes of course). My objective was simply to see who would text during a class we were specifically asked not to use our phones in. I had a few students that I knew I would be watching; ones that often used their phones in class and were rather obvious about it at times. However once I broadened my view I got a better census of things I came to realize that a majority of those students in the room checked their phone at least once. If numbers are more solid, in a class of 29 students I witnessed 22 check their phone! That’s 72% of the students in this one class and though of those most only glanced to their phone once or twice I observed one student who was glued to her phone for most of the class period.
                
                     After noticing her check her phone 4 times within the first five minutes of class I decided to lower my scope and see just how often one student would actually text in class. Over the period of out hour and twenty minute class she looked down to her phone and at least checked a message 68 times! That means that roughly every minute she was making sure she didn't get a text, sending a text, or reading a message! Shocking numbers if you were to ask me though I wanted to know more and so as class came to an end I casually asked how her grade was in the class. She admitted that she was sliding by with a low C but if she didn't do well on the final she was going to be in trouble. I withheld from asking if she thought her constant texting was to blame but I’m sure it was on some level. Just goes to show you that technology when not handled properly can really cause problems.
Caption: As for what I think should be done when a student is caught?
This college professor has the right idea in scaring his students.

No comments:

Post a Comment