Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Professor's Perspective

The frustration of technology

                After interviewing a student I thought it would also be a good idea to get the opinion of a professor. Deciding upon whom to interview was easy, my history professor Mr.Dedecker seemed like an obvious choice considering his connections to the past. As someone who has studied history so intently I thought he could give me a unique view into technology and how it has changed things. Additionally I really believe the man is both insightful and intelligent so I actually value his opinion on this subject.

                Let me start by saying that he is someone who is constantly attached to his technology as much as you and I are today. That being said he mentioned that the technology is really dividing us, it puts a barrier between those of us who have it and those of us who don’t. It also really pushes people it groups giving them titles such as “Facebook Friends” or “Twitter Followers” rather than viewing each person as an individual they are defined by their media. On the positive side though he sees the obvious benefits of technology saying that its good for research, expanding knowledge, and creating medicine.

                I moved on to ask him what he thought would happen if technology as we know it simply ceased to exist today. His response was rather comical though likely true to life “Those under thirty would go into cardiac arrest, and those over would be alright.” Finally I asked him if he had anything else to offer on the topic to which he said “Technology has opened many doors and closed a lot of others.” Profound words in my opinion, I think it’s true that technology has given us so much but also taken away a lot and yet we’ll likely never realize exactly what it is we've lost.

Caption: In return for his interview I'd like to show off a bit of his musical talent!

1 comment: